So you know how excited I was getting about my pattern cutting class.. and cutting out the pieces for my toile? Well it’s finished! And it fits perfectly! I made a few minor adjustments to the block where the tunic was a little big around the shoulder and arm hole but other than that it was a brilliant fit. I couldn’t resist having a little twirl around the workshop in it!
Don’t get me wrong this is not what the finished item will look like. For those who aren’t familiar with pattern cutting, the toile is the mock-up you make of the tunic block. Having used my personal measurements to create the block, I then needed to make it up in order to check the waist and bust shaping were correct and that it actually fitted. From here, I then made any adjustments that were required (luckily not many!) to the main block and I’ll use the modified one to draw up my block pattern again. Once that is finished I can then manipulate the block to create the sort of shape top that I’d like to make!
I can’t wait to start designing, I think tomorrow I’m going to spend the day watching old Audrey Hepburn and Jean Seberg films to try and get some inspiration for the top I’m going to actually make. I already have some gorgeous fabric from India and an idea of the kind of top I would like! I’m thinking something very plain in shape with a classic boatneck.